Many of you DO know about an Italian dish, pizza. So, in today’s article, we have decided to tell you about each and everything, we found about pizza. It’s a 101 for how to make a delicious and yummy easy pizza at home.
Also, there will be more than that like who, when and how was pizza invented? What is the correct way to eat a pizza? What are the flavours of pizza? And so forth.
So, without wasting time, let’s dig into the basic information of pizza.
Basic Information about Pizza:
So, pizza is a dish which is widely eaten all over the world. Many of you, may have a question in your mind that, is pizza pasta? Well, no.
According to Quora, Pasta is made up of a combination of eggs and flour for making noodles into many different sizes and shapes.
Whereas in making pizza we also use dough but of a different type which is topped with cheese, sauce (Tomato sauce, often)and many other things like mushrooms, olives, meat in some cases and the list goes on.
Thankfully, people have invented a pizza called a pasta pizza for those who love both.
Let us come to some G.K:
1 Italy is the place of origin where pizza was made.
2. People eat pizza in two ways:
By using a fork and knife.
By cutting the pizza into slices and eating them by hands.
3. A small pizza is called a pizzetta.
4. The person who cooks pizza is called a pizzaiolo.
5. The pizza specializing restaurants is called pizzerias.
6. The term pizza, literally, means pie.
History of Pizza:
The history of pizza starts in antiquity when some ancient cultures invented several basic flatbreads with various toppings.
A precursor of pizza was maybe the focaccia. The focaccia was flatbread which was known as panis focacius, to which toppings were added, later.
Modern pizza evolved from similar flatbread dishes in the third-largest city of Italy, Naples around 18th or early 19th century.
Before that, people often top the flatbread with ingredients including garlic, salt, cheese, and lard.
Pizzas were mainly made and eaten by Italians and the emigrants, but after the WWII, this changed when Allied troops stationed in Italy came to enjoy pizza.
According to Wikipedia, the pizza Margherita was actually invented in 1889, when Raffaele Esposito (a pizza maker) commissioned to create a pizza in honour of visiting Queen Margherita.
He presented three different styles of pizzas to the Queen in which she liked a pizza which was covered in the colours of the Italian flag – Red (Tomatoes), Green (Basil), White (Mozzarella cheese).
That may be the reason, why this pizza has a name The Pizza Margherita although, some researchers still have a doubt about this.
Is Pizza Healthy?
Well, pizza is neither healthy nor unhealthy. Everyone knows that how much, commercial foods are healthy. So, the answer is pretty simple. Most of the commercial pizzas are unhealthy for you, but there are some restaurants that make healthy pizzas.
You can also make a homemade healthy pizza.
Is Pizza fast food, junk food or pasta?
I have described the difference between pasta and pizza. So, it means pizza is not pasta. Now, the difference between junk food and fast food: there is a slight difference between junk and fast food.
Fast-Food: It is a type of food which you mainly get from restaurants easily. They are either healthy or unhealthy.
Junk food: Junk foods as there show, these foods come with extremely low nutritional value, sometimes they are called rich in “empty in calories”.
So, most commercial pizzas are nothing, but one of the most popular junk food in the world.
If you make a healthy pizza at home or eat it at a restaurant, it’ll not be called junk-food anymore. You can count it under the fast-food category.
Pizza vs. Burger vs. Burrito:
Well, this is a big debate which is very difficult to answer because it depends on a person what kind of food he likes to eat.
There are some who recommends pizza; some recommends burger whereas some suggest burritos and the list do not end here. There are uncountable types of junk foods as well as fast-food.
Now, let’s take a look at the nutrition levels of pizza, burger and burritos.
Just like I said, this is a big debate and very difficult to answer because it depends on what type of flavour are you consuming. Is it made in the home and is it veggie flavour? So, there are many conditions to be considered. But, this website will give you an idea of the nutrition values of foods.
Varieties of Pizza:
There are so many types of pizzas that you can’t even imagine. Like California Pizza, New York Pizza, Napoleon Pizza etc…
You can visit this article to know more varieties of pizza.
Make a Pizza at home and we’ll tell you:
At last, it’s pizza time. Now, we’ll teach you how to make a pizza at home, step-by-step. Don’t worry; the pizza recipe will be easy because we are making pizza not a war, right? Just kidding!
Note: We will make a pizza which is a simple pizza. A great starting point for a newbie.
Make a pizza dough:
Let’s talk about how to make a homemade pizza base. I’ll make a list of pizza ingredients along with how much quantity do you need in order to make a pizza bread/dough.
Note: This dough can be used for making a large pizza or 2 medium pizzas.
|Pizza Dough Ingredients List||Quantity|
|All-purpose flour||Half a kg|
|Loop-Warm Water||As needed for kneading.|
|Instant Yeast||1 Teaspoon|
|Caster Sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt||Half a teaspoon|
|Oil||2-3 Tablespoon (Take some extra oil, you will need it later)|
|Dried Milk Powder (Full Fat)||2 Tablespoon|
Note: Dried Milk Powder (Low Fat) can be used. Normal liquid milk about 5-8 tablespoon can be used as well.
1. Pour all the dry ingredients into the bowl; All-purpose flour, instant yeast, caster sugar, salt and dried milk powder.
2. Mix it up and ensure all the ingredients have mixed.
3. Add the egg along with the oil (2-3 tablespoon).
4. Mix it nicely. You’ll feel the mixture crumbly.
5. Now, start adding a little water and mix until the dough becomes soft. Remember, you don’t need it to be so hard or so loose.
6. Now, moist your hands with the oil, you saved for later use.
7. Start kneading your dough for 2-3 minutes.
8. Take another bowl and grease the bowl with the oil.
9. Put your pizza dough in it and cover the bowl.
10. If it’s summer, rest your dough for half an hour. If it’s winter, rest your dough for about an hour. (Note: Don’t keep it in the fridge or in any cold place. Keep it at room temperature or warm place. The warm place is recommended)
11. Now you will find that your pizza dough has been rise enough.
12. All done! Congrats!
Make a pizza sauce:
You can buy from the supermarket but if you want to make it at home, then it is the pizza sauce recipe.
Now, let’s see how to make a yummy Italian sauce for a pizza.
|Pizza Sauce Ingredients||Quantity|
|Chopped Garlic||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely Chopped Onion||1 Onion|
|Dried Basil||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried Oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Tomato Ketchup||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato Puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground Black Pepper||Level Teaspoon|
|Italian Mixed Herbs||1 Teaspoon|
|Plum or chopped tomatoes||2 Cans|
1. Heat up the oil in the pan.
2. Add the onion and garlic in the pan.
3. Stir for 3 minutes on medium flame. DO NOT allow to colour. Just make sure all the moisture of onion and garlic becomes dry.
4. Now add water and stir on the low flame until the water lessens.
5. Add canned tomatoes chopped or plums along with sugar, basil, salt, oregano, tomato ketchup and tomato puree.
6. Cook on high flame until starts boiling.
7. Low the flame when starts boiling and cook for 30 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, use the spoon or masher and mash the tomatoes if there are any solid pieces of tomatoes and then cover the pan with the lid.
9. After 30 minutes, add the Italian mixed herbs and black pepper.
10. Cover it again and cook for at least 15 minutes on low flame.
11. Congratulations! You have got your yummy Italian pizza sauce.
Use it in pizza, lasagne, pasta etc… You can also freeze it for later use.
How to make an easy homemade pizza:
Now, it is time to make a delicious pizza. We are going to teach you how to make a pizza in an oven.
|Pizza Ingredients List|
|Dough for 1 Large Pizza|
|Oil For Greasing|
|Chopped Red and Green Capsicums|
|Italian Pizza Sauce|
Note: These vegetables are not necessary to use. This varies from person to person. If you like some other vegetables, you can add them.
1. Grease the tray with oil.
2. Flat your dough and put it on the tray.
3. Spread the Italian pizza sauce on the bread.
4. Sprinkle some cheese.
5. Top with boiled chicken.
6. Then one by one add all the vegetables.
7. In the end, make sure to top with a lot of cheese.
8. Ensure that you had preheated your oven.
9. Now put your pizza in the oven for about 20-25 minutes on 20° C. Just make sure that the cheese melts and the pizza rises.
10. Now your pizza is ready. Eat and enjoy the pizza with salad.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
1. Can You Make a Pizza Base Without Yeast?
Ans. Yes, there are some ways. You can search on Google.
2. Can Pizza Dough Be Frozen?
Ans. Yes, Visit the article here.
3. What is the difference between the crust and normal pizza dough?
Ans. Well, my research says, there is no difference between them.
4. Can you make a pizza without cheese?
Ans. Yes, you can but that is not recommended. It is just like making roti and put vegetables on it.
5. What makes pizza a pizza?
Ans. Well, making a pizza without tomato sauce or any other kind of sauce and cheese is not a pizza. These ingredients are what makes pizza a pizza.
6. Can you make a pizza without an oven?
Ans. Last but the not the least question. Yes, it is possible to make a pizza on pan and microwave rather than cooking in the oven. Before that, make sure to take a guide. Thanks!
The Recipe is of Faiza Zarif.
Quote of the week is:
Think 100 times before you take a decision, but once that decision is taken, stand by it as one man.
– Muhammad Ali Jinnah
For More :