Many people want to become a smart gardener and there is nothing bad in it. More the (smart) gardeners will be, less the global warming issue.
Moreover, gardening has a lot of benefits you haven’t imagined yet.
When gardeners start to grow a garden, they go through some phases like how to prepare a garden, what to plant etc…
While starting to grow these plants, they face a lot of difficulties.
So, today we are going to learn what are those difficulties while growing cauliflower.
No more non-sense talk and let’s dig in.
What’s Eating My Cauliflower Leaves😰?
Many people ask this question and became frightened that what is eating their cauliflower leaves.
Don’t worry! It is a common problem and you can’t prevent it.
If there are some of the leaves that are eaten, no problem, it happens naturally.
But if many leaves are being affected, then it’ll be a serious problem.
You have to check very carefully that if your plants have some types of worm on it.
Often these worms that are called cabbage worms or some other worm would be eating your cauliflower leaves.
Recommended is to pick them one-by-one and throw away. If you are sensitive like me, then spray with neem oil, soap and water mixture.
What Are Black Spots On Cauliflower?
If you are seeing black spots on cauliflower in the garden, it may be the signs of Alternaria Leaf Spot.
Now, what is Alternaria Leaf Spot?
Alternaria Leaf Spot is a type of fungus that is caused by spores that are spread in wind, splashing water, people and equipment.
The symptoms for Alternaria Leaf Spot are mentioned below:
- At first, you’ll notice dark brown to black spots of around half an inch occurring on cauliflower leaves.
- As the days will be passed by, cauliflower leaves would begin to drop.
Later on, it’ll also affect the cauliflower itself. You’ll see some black spots on cauliflower.
Here is some method to get rid of Alternaria Leaf Spot (Black spots on cauliflower leaves):
- By doing fungal spray
- Mulching when applied instantly after planting can also help in preventing the fungus from spreading in the soil.
Before talking we talk about cauliflower mould, we would take a look at what is cauliflower mould.
So, What Is Mould?
Mould is a type of fungi that spread through spores in the air. They multiply in damp places.
Mould survives almost any environment; indoors and outdoors. They are so common in our daily lives.
They are of different colours that can be black, white, orange, green, or purple.
Let’s talk about cauliflower mould.
Cauliflower that has been mould can be serious to eat. So, that is why you must always see for cauliflower mould.
According to my research, if you find your cauliflower that has black or brown signs on it, they’ll be fine to eat as long as the cauliflower doesn’t smell bad or have a mushy texture.
Just remove the above part of the cauliflower with black or brown signs on it and cook the rest.
Why Is My Cauliflower Bolting?
Again before talking about cauliflower bolting. Let’s understand what is bolting?
Yeah, I know that no one is interested but I’ll still talk about this.
Bolting is a gerund form of bolt. No……. not that bolt (dog movie or thunderbolt).
Bolt means the stage of the plant when it starts to produce seeds.
So, now let’s talk about cauliflower bolting.
The common reason for cauliflower bolting is when the temperature of the soil starts to rise, the cauliflower starts the bolting process in order to keep itself alive. (Everyone tries to live more, right?)
At the time of bolting, plants no longer are edible. I mean they can be eaten but their taste becomes bitter.
I am Growing Cauliflower with No Heads:
(Wow! You are so talented.😲) Just kidding!
It is really a very serious problem when you’re growing cauliflower with literally no heads or sometimes small heads.
Although you can’t do anything except for the regret.
You would say why does it happen. It happens when plants go in stress.
Fortunately, there are certain factors to be followed in order to save yourself from regret.
- Temperature: If your soil temperature misbalances, it’ll not be good for your plants.
- Nutrition: If the cauliflower gets a lack of nutrition, it’ll also lead the growing cauliflower with no head.
- Moisture: Seriously, this point is the most common one as well as the most foolish one. Your plants are like a baby. No matter what happens, they need water on time even you’re away.
Cauliflower Pests and bugs & Their Cure:
Let’s talk about those hateful, annoying bugs and pests who just love to eat our cauliflower.😡
- Cabbage worms
- Flea beetles
- Cabbage root maggots
- Cabbage aphids
You can remove some of them by just manually handpicking them.
Or if you find it disgusting🤢 like me, you can always use the mixture of neem oil, water and soap.
Also, bugs like slugs or snails don’t appear in the morning (those smart little 🤬).
Using sharp mulch like dried leaves or wood ash or fencing would help.
Disease Of Cauliflower & Prevention:
- Alternaria leaf spot (I talked about it already. Click here)
- Downy mildew: It is a cauliflower disease that is caused by fungus. It appears on the upper side of the leaves as yellow spots.
Soon these yellow spots convert into black. On the bottom of the leaves, it may occur in white colour.
- Bacterial soft rot: It is another disease of cauliflower that enters through the wound of the plants caused by machinery or some insects.
It makes these spot mushy and soft.
Prevention to them is to work with care while using tools and space the plants for air circulation.
- If possible, do plant disease-resistant seeds.
- Don’t damage the cauliflower plant.
- To prevent the fungal diseases, lime the soil
- Don’t use the seeds that were stored properly or old seeds.
- Space between the plants to get adequate growing cauliflower.
- Immediately destroy the seedlings that show signs of infections. (I would prefer, fire them up🔥)
- Don’t water from above. Stay with the ground.
- Do crop rotation.
Some Factual😲, Funny & Non-sense😄 Questions:
1. Is cauliflower a flower💮?
Obviously, it, even, contains flower in its spelling.
2. Will Cauliflower Grow Back?
Unfortunately😥, no. Broccoli does grow back but poor cauliflower spends all its power in making a flower.
3. Are Cauliflower Leaves Edible🍽️?
Of course, if you want to eat them too, go for it but don’t eat infected leaves, please.
4. Are Cauliflower and Broccoli Related👪?
Yep, they are related. Cauliflower, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Brussels Sprouts, Collard Greens, and Kohlrabi belongs to Brassica oleracea.
5. Is Cauliflower Frost Hardy?
Let’s see the statement of Gardening know-how blog:
“Cauliflower is cold hardy, but it’s not invincible, especially when it’s young and tender, so some cauliflower frost protection is necessary for the spring. Start your cauliflower seeds indoors and transplant them outside around the time of the average last frost. If a later frost is likely, protect your young plants with row covers.”
6. How Cauliflower Seeds Are Formed?
If you leave the head and don’t harvest it on time, it’ll soon bolt. That’s how cauliflower seeds are formed.
I hope you would have gained a lot of information. Just like this pick hobbies and participate in activities.
If you have questions or suggestions, do let me know.
Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.